The Fortress of Real Felipe is a Vauban-style military building built in the eighteenth century during the governments of the viceroys José Antonio Manso de Velasco and Manuel de Amat y Juniet to defend the port against attacks by pirates and privateers.
It is one of the few works of military architecture and the largest built by the Spanish in America. It was known during the colonial era, together with the strong "San Rafael" and "San Miguel", the "Castles of Callao."
His name was chosen in honor of King Philip V of Bourbon had died in 1746. Later it was renamed by Jose de San Martin as' Castle Independence "to start the Republican period, returning to its original name in 1925.
It is shaped like an irregular pentagon in an area of 70.000 m²with a bastion at each of its five vertices, these defenses are: King, Queen or the Fatherland, the Jonte or Prince or San Felipe, Princess or the Tapia or San Carlos and San Jose or the Nativity. In addition to the defenses has two towers: the King and Queen (the latter tower faces west ie towards the sea), and five walls: the Royal Road, Marina, Road Chucuito,Marcela and Road the Magdalena. It has two doors: the Principal, who is in the wall of the Camino Real, and Forgiveness, which is on the wall Chucuito Road. To the north of the fortress of Real Felipe Fort was San Miguel and the south was Fort San Rafael.